1 tbsp (15 mL) butter or margarine
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
1 – 12 oz (340 g) package Highline fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
Pastry for 1 crust, 9 inch (22.5 cm) pie
1 tbsp (15 mL) fine dry breadcrumbs
1 cup (250 mL) grated Swiss or gruyere cheese
Chopped fresh parsley
- Cook first three ingredients together in a fry pan until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are tender.
- Preheat oven to 210°C (425°F).
- Roll out pastry on a floured board to a 25 cm (10 inch) square; transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet, make a 2 cm (½ inch) rim and flute edges.
- Sprinkle pastry with breadcrumbs; spread with mushroom mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 20 min. or until golden brown.
- To serve, cut into 5 cm (2 inch) squares; garnish with parsley.
340 g (12 oz) Highline Whole mushrooms
Makes 25 appetizers.
4 Highline Grill Caps, trimmed & cleaned
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tsp balsamic vinegar
4 tomato slices
2 cups fresh baby spinach
3 oz goat cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place portabellas, gill-side up on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil & balsamic vinegar; bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and top with tomato, spinach and goat cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
170 g (6 oz) Highline Grill Caps
¼ cup (50 mL) peanut oil
1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil (optional)
2 tsps (10 mL) grated fresh ginger
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 – 4 oz (114 g) packages Highline fresh Shiitake mushrooms
Finely chopped green onion
Toasted sesame seeds
- Combine oils, ginger and garlic in a small bowl; let stand 30 min.
- Trim woody portions of mushroom stems and discard; cut any large mushrooms into quarters; thread mushrooms on skewers and generously brush with oil mixture.
- Place skewers on grill 15 cm (6 inches) above hot coals; grill 5 min. or until mushrooms are tender turning and brushing with oil mixture often.
- Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds.
To broil: Proceed as above; place skewers on a broiler pan and broil 15 cm (6 inches) from heat 5 min. or until mushrooms are tender, turning and brushing with oil mixture often. Garnish as above.
114 g (4 oz) Highline Shiitake mushrooms
1 – 4 oz (133 g) package Highline fresh Oyster mushrooms
1 pound (454 g) thinly sliced veal cutlets (¼ inch [1 cm] thick)
¼ cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
¼ cup (50 mL) butter or margarine
¼ cup (50 mL) sliced green onions
½ cup (125 mL) condensed chicken broth
½ cup (125 mL) Chablis or other dry white wine
1 cup (250 mL) light cream
- Cut any large mushrooms in half.
- Pound cutlets to 0.5 cm (⅛ inch) thick.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish; coat cutlets with mixture.
- Melt butter in a fry pan; brown cutlets, a few at a time on both sides; remove to a warm platter.
- Reduce heat and stir mushrooms into hot drippings; cook until tender.
- Stir green onions into mushrooms and cook 1 min; stir in chicken broth and wine, scraping to remove brown bits; simmer about 10 min. or until liquid is reduced to about 125 mL (½ cup).
85 g (3 oz) Highline Oyster mushrooms